Montenegro Business Services

We are here to help you
in establishing your business
in Montenegro


Temporary and permanent residence
in Montenegro. Obtaining a work permit

IMPORTANT: TRP is available only for the residents of the states having visa free entrance to Montenegro. You can check your country visa regime at Montenegrin Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site.

If you plan staying in Montenegro longer than allowed 90 days (30 days for residents of some countries) you would need to apply for a temporary residence. The procedure takes a while as it requires a lot of paperwork preparation and staying in lines in various offices of Podgorica, Bar, Kotor, Cetinje. After the permanent residence application has been successfully submitted to the police it will take 30 days of processing to get a temporary residence for 12 months stay.

It is important to understand that property ownership does not give you the immediate right for a residence, although as the recently adopted Law says a property owner is entitled to a temporary residence permit. The main point considered when granting a residence is the work permit. Obtaining a work permit is not a straightforward procedure and includes registering a firm of your own for employment purposes as the first step (or getting employed at a firm, which would be willing to do this for you). You will need to prove you have a place to live in Montenegro as the second step. If you live in the place of your own, you will have to present the property title («List Nepokretnosti» in Montenegrin) in your name. In case you do not have it, you would need to rent an apartment and show the lease agreement. You will need to show a current bank statement to prove you have some funds (a few hundred euros is enough) on your bank account in Montenegro as well. Then you would need to go to the Employment Office of Montenegro in Bar to apply for a work permit. Finally, when you have the work permit you may apply for temporary residence carrying all supporting documents to the local police station. If the documents are accepted, you will, most probably, receive in 30 days temporary residence for 12 months.

Owning a firm in Montenegro is not an easy task either, especially if the firm makes no profit and has been registered for the purpose of obtaining a residence only. Even a dormant company will require some attention and expenses. You will need to hire an accountant and pay social security contributions, health insurance, etc., on all employed staff every month. Rough calculation of annual expenses for a firm with two employees (a director and a secretary) is 1900–2000 EUR. Registration of a limited company in Montenegro is 550 EUR (including the lawyer's fee and all related legal fees).

We will be pleased to assist you with obtaining permanent residence in Montenegro. We will register a firm in Montenegro in your name, get a work permit and prepare the documents to apply for a temporary residence. Please email us to learn the details.

Please email us for more information.

Some links you may find helpful in getting more information about doing business in Montenegro, its legislation, temporary and permanent residence, obtaining a work permit and foreigners employment in Montenegro:

© 2009

Our Services: